It’s Michael here from Woven.
I have been reflecting on the year so far. We have accomplished so much in spite of these challenging times. The entertainment industry is still undergoing a rapid transition and consumers continue to show us how time poor they are.
Our shared challenge is breaking through the noise and connecting with them in this changing world. I look forward to joining you as you embark on your projects in the days ahead. Below you’ll find out more about our role in New Zealand brand placement.
WHAT’S HAPPENING AT WOVEN
It was a pleasure to work with Kathryn Burnett in the romantic comedy play Mike & Virginia during its debut at the New Zealand Comedy Festival. We scene placed Omaha Organic berries ice cream 850ml OOB brand, and gave audiences free samples of the ice cream as they left the theatre. The Moa Brewing Company joined in the fun with numerous scene placements of their original super premium lager 330ml.
In July we successfully placed NZ Kiwi Water 750ml Still & Sparkling & L&P 330ml glass bottles in the sequel to the New Zealand box office smash Sione’s Wedding called Unfinished Business, which is scheduled to open nationwide on 19 January 2012.
We are pleased to mention our involvement in Auckland Daze, NZ’s hottest new reality comedy series, about four guys trying to make it in our big city.
Auckland Daze is a recipient of NZ On Air’s Digital Content Partnership fund; with the aim of giving kiwis broadcast quality content on new platforms. It targets kiwi men and women aged 18-34 years when it goes straight to TVNZ On Demand this October. We are looking for clothing, food, beverage and vehicles brands presently.
A NOTE FOR BRANDS
We are keen to talk to you about the opportunities of brand placement in Auckland Daze, as its creation represents a shift in viewing habits and an indication of where our national broadcaster is headed strategically. It is vital for us to make sure you are visible here.
Some more useful information for you -
- Ericsson Consumer Labs surveyed 13,000 people in 13 markets about TV viewing habits. The studyrevealed that 40% of all respondents mention social media as an activity undertaken while watching broadcast content.
- What this study also revealed is that audience attention is split as 33% of all respondents had streamed TV shows on demand, 29% had downloaded material and 26% streamed films on demand, while a whopping 47% watch YouTube weekly.
Auckland Daze is a direct response to this audience split, as it brings local content to the web and new platforms where (as the study shows) there are a growing number of eyeballs.
A NOTE FOR PRODUCERS
A big thank you to everyone who attended the Brand Placement seminar here at the Woven offices. It was good to connect with many of you. We learned much together about how to move our local film and TV industry forward. There are certainly more endearing stories for local audiences to enjoy.
Some good resources for you to look at -
- At the seminar, you remember, I played a clip of a seminar recently given about how Coca-Cola’s marketing strategy is both ‘liquid’ and linked’. This got me thinking about how we must try to forge ever-deeper connections with audiences.
- Do make yourself aware of how the team atShowbrands can provide insights into your audience’s viewing habits. We fully understand the value of their measurement tools, and can advise you, should you wish to give us a call.
- The 2011 Australian MasterChef finale branded entertainment measurement report is being compiled and will be available shortly for purchase. Showbrands is the only company with reports for Australian MasterChef finales 2009, 2010 and soon 2011.